Electrical Safety Assessment & Energy Audits
IBS provides complete services for Electrical System design, safety Assessment and Energy Audit services. A properly designed, planned and executed electrical safety assessment programme can bring out many hazards that could save life & property of your workplace. Electrical Safety is a concern in almost every organizations. The risks related to electrical safety are often `managed in an isolated way.
Electrical Safety Audit is examining the safety of electrical installations of any industrial unit or organization. Electrical Safety Audit is performed by enquiry, inspection, testing and verification. Electrical Safety Audits are conducted by experienced professionals who assist clients in reducing risk and help to ensure compliance with applicable Safety Standards and Regulations.
Electrical Safety Audits helps in identifying:
- Electrical hazards to minimize the risk of accidents like fire due to short-circuiting,
- Areas of risk or vulnerability in electrical systems and installations,
- Non-compliance with the legislation and best practices.
Electrical Safety Audits include factory assessment of electrical installations in the various industries such as Electrical, Construction, in Cities in India.
Auditing Services of IBS are designed to meet Global Standards that deliver Credibility in adoption of Energy Saving Measures. To achieve this objective, professionally trained auditors are deputed to identify ‘Opportunities and Measures for Improvements’ in Electrical Safety Auditing.
Scope for Electrical Safety Audit:
Electrical Safety Audit reviews the degree of safety of the overall electrical system in the premises, providing recommendation and measures to be taken to minimize or eliminate the risk of electrical hazards.
Following is the scope in detail:
- Review of the electrical hazards identification and risk assessment.
- Review of the earthing and lightning protection system implemented in plant to ensure the equipment and human safety.
- To check earth resistance of earth pits and sockets on sampling basis.
- Review of EPM (Electrical Preventive Maintenance) programme in the facility Review of the shutdown procedure, work permits, lock-out tags etc.
- To check the hotspot in the electrical installation and equipment by using thermal imager.
- Review of the electrical distribution network & system of the plant emphasizing on adequacy and functionality of protection devices.
- Review of the electrical documents like register of electrical installations, single line diagrams, test records (Transformer oil test, Insulation Resistance test and Earth Resistance tests) and data sheets of critical electrical installations.
- Review of the availability & reliability of emergency systems such as DG set, UPS, battery etc.
- Review of the records of training and competency of employee and contractor performing the electrical work.
- Review of the awareness of employee and contractors related to electrical safety, electrical hazard at workplace and the precautions to be taken.
- Identify the training needs of the plant employee from the point of view of electrical safety.
- Physical verification of warning signage & labelling on all electrical distribution panels, transformer and switchgear.
- Review of fire system protection.
Approach and Methodology:
The Electrical Safety Audit includes the review of documentation with respect to the scope covered in audit, an on-site visit, and data collection, their review and analysis. This will also require the cross check and verification of information and data which may include industry norms and peer data.
Following is the methodology in detail:
- A Pre-Audit Meeting (opening meeting) discussing the major guidelines with the management team and all the concerned departments.
- On-site visit and inspection to identify potential electrical hazards as per the scope of the audit. This may include incoming supply receiving section, , electrical equipment installed in building, earthing, cabling, loose cabling, lighting protection, temporary wiring, maintenance condition, electrical fire hazards, shock potential etc. During the field visit the verification of the actual installation compared to the available drawing (such as electrical single line diagram (SLD), earthing lay out, etc.) is also carried out.
- Discussion with members of the house.
- Review of Documentation / Records (All the relevant maintenance documentation, test records, electrical records and electrical inspector reports).
- Submission of final electrical safety audit (ESA) report to client incorporating agreed changes/comments.
Electrical Safety Audits helps in Identifying:
- Identification and elimination of safety hazards;
- Ensuring longevity of expensive electronic equipment like computers and other machines;
- Development of a dynamic record of safety performance;
- Creation of positive cycle of safety improvement;
- Ensuring compliance with Regulatory and industry safety related best practices.